44:02:07:21. Preventing contamination by employees. Employees in a food establishment must adhere to the following requirements to prevent contamination of food:
(1) Wash hands as specified under § 44:02:07:13;
(2) Avoid contact with exposed ready-to-eat food with bare hands by using utensils such as deli tissue, spatulas, tongs, single-use gloves, or dispensing equipment. However, bare hand contact is allowed when washing fruits and vegetables or as otherwise authorized by the regulatory authority;
(3) Minimize contact of bare hands and arms with exposed food that is not in a ready-to-eat form;
(4) Use single-use gloves for only one task, such as working with ready-to-eat food or with raw animal food; use them for no other purpose; and discard them when they are damaged or soiled or when interruptions occur in the food operation; and
(5) Use a utensil only once to taste food that is to be sold or served.
Source: 23 SDR 195, effective May 26, 1997.
General Authority: SDCL 34-1-17, 34-18-22.
Law Implemented: SDCL 34-18-22, 34-18-25.
Back to 44:02:07